Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar was released on 2002.08.24 and was last updated on 2003.10.03, when the 10.2.8 update was released. There were rumors that 10.2.9 would be released in mid-2009 to address several bugs and vulnerabilities that remained in version 10.2.8, but that never happened.
Jaguar was the first version of OS X to support Safari and the last the ship with Internet Explorer as its default browser. Apple’s release of it Safari web browser was Microsoft’s excuse to leave the Mac browser market.
Jaguar improved performance across the board, especially for Classic Mode, and introduced Quartz Extreme, which lets the operating system offload graphics tasks to supported video cards (ATI Radeon and Nvidia GeForce 2 AGP and later video with at least 16 MB of VRAM).
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. Get it for PowerPC or 32bit Intel. Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later is required. Get it for PowerPC or Intel. Mac OS X 10.3 Panther. QuickTime 6.5.2 or later is required. Get it for PowerPC. Mac OS X 10.6.2 has finally arrived and it brings tons of new bug fixes for existing OS X Snow Leopard users. This new 10.6.2 Update is highly recommended for all the current Snow Leopard users and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac. It also includes the fix for the critical issue that caused data to be deleted when using.
OS X 10.2 includes Inkwell, which ports the Newton handwriting recognition technology to the Mac. Inkwell requires a tablet. Bonjour is Apple’s technology that allows Macs to find each other and other Bonjour-aware devices without user configuration. It also improved support for Windows networks. Jaguar includes CUPS, which provides support for a lot more printers than earlier versions of OS X.
Jaguar lost one feature that had been with the Mac since the beginning – the Happy Mac startup icon (right) was replaced by a gray Apple logo.
Jaguar requires a PowerPC G3 or G4 CPU, 128 MB of RAM, and is incompatible with the Kanga PowerBook G3 – the only G3-based Mac never supported by any version of OS X. While 10.2 can run with 128 MB of RAM, 256 MB is a more realistic minimum for decent performance (the OS itself can use from 96 MB to 200 MB of RAM), and going to 512 MB or beyond will really unleash its potential.
- Jaguar List, our email list for Mac OS X 10.2 users.
- How to Recover from a Beige G3 Startup Error, Dan Knight, Mac Daniel, 2012.07.19. If you’re not careful, installing OS X 10.2 Jaguar can create an unbootable Beige Power Mac G3. How to fix it – and how to avoid the problem.
- Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar Can Unleash the Power of G3 iBooks, Carl Nygren, 2008.06.17
- Internet Sharing a Breeze in OS X, Dan Knight, 2003.04.07
- Good News and Bad News About the Jaguar Update and Other Thoughts on OS X, Dan Knight, 2003.04.01
- Using Jaguar’s Finder for FTP, Alan Zisman, 2003.02.11
- Making a Bootable OS X CD, iMac Startup Problems after OS X Install, and More, Dan Knight, 2003.02.03
- The Value of a Refurbished iBook with Jaguar, Steve Watkins, 2003.01.21
- Gimp-Print to the Rescue: Letting Macs with Jaguar Print on Windows Networks, Alan Zisman, 2003.01.15
- I Switched (from OS 9 to OS X), Dan Knight, 2003.01.13. Today marks 10 days since I installed Jaguar (Mac OS X 10.2.3) on my 400 MHz PowerBook G4.
- Quartz Extreme Empowers the G3, Dan Knight, 2002.12.31
- Beefing Up Windows Networking in OS X, Alan Zisman, 2002.10.07
- The Mac and Windows Compatibility, Adam Robert Guha, 2002.10.04
- Groveling: Jaguar Is Not Fat, Slow, and Deeply Flawed, Dirk Pilat, 2002.09.25
- Jaguar Joyride, Steve Watkins, 2002.09.24
These are generally the latest version of these programs that run on Jaguar. Some may require Mac OS X 10.2.8, the final version of Jaguar. Programs are free unless otherwise noted.
Browsers are listed by how up-to-date they are. We strongly recommend Opera 9.6.x (the only browser for Jaguar still being updated), Firefox 18.104.22.168, and Camino 1.0.6. Keep Internet Explorer handy just in case you find a site that requires it.
- Opera 9.6.4 – current version (June 2009), most up-to-date browser for Jaguar, Opera 10 alpha not compatible with Jaguar
- Firefox 22.214.171.124 (Dec. 2008)
- iCab 3.0.5 (Jan. 2008) – shareware, use the PowerPC version
- Camino 1.0.6 (Aug. 2007)
- Safari 1.0.3 (Aug. 2004) – installed using Software Update, update using Software Update, quite outdated
- Internet Explorer 5.2.2 (Sept. 2002) – IE 5.2 installed with Jaguar, update using Software Update, most outdated browser for Jaguar
- Kompozer 0.7.10 – WYSIWYG HTML editor, based on Netscape Composer, version 0.8 requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later
- uControl 1.3.5 – keyboard remapper, useful for swapping the Command and Option keys when using a Windows keyboard, as they are reversed from what Mac users are used to
Mac OS X v10.2 Jaguar Updates
|Mac OS X v10.2 Jaguar Updates|
|For PowerPC G3 and G4 Processors|
|10.2.1||Updates Mac OS X 10.2 to Mac OS X 10.2.1|
|10.2.2||Updates Mac OS X 10.2.1 to Mac OS X 10.2.2|
|10.2.3||Updates Mac OS X 10.2.2 to Mac OS X 10.2.3|
|10.2.4||Updates Mac OS X 10.2.3 to Mac OS X 10.2.4|
|10.2.5||Updates Mac OS X 10.2.4 to Mac OS X 10.2.5|
|10.2.6||Updates Mac OS X 10.2.5 to Mac OS X 10.2.6|
|10.2.8||Updates Mac OS X 10.2.6 or 10.2.7 to Mac OS X 10.2.8|
|10.2.8 (6R73)||Updates Mac OS X 10.2.8 Update (Build 6R65) to Mac OS X 10.2.8 (Build 6R73). |
|For PowerPC G5 Processors|
|10.2.8 (G5)||Updates Mac OS X 10.2.7 to Mac OS X 10.2.8|
|For PowerPC G3 and G4 processors only.|
|10.2.2||Updates Mac OS X 10.2 to Mac OS X 10.2.2|
|10.2.3||Updates Mac OS X 10.2 to Mac OS X 10.2.3|
|10.2.4||Updates Mac OS X 10.2 to Mac OS X 10.2.4|
|10.2.5||Updates Mac OS X 10.2 to Mac OS X 10.2.5|
|10.2.6||Updates Mac OS X 10.2 to Mac OS X 10.2.6|
|10.2.8||Updates Mac OS X 10.2 to Mac OS X 10.2.8|
Keywords: #osxjaguar #macosxjaguar
Short link: http://goo.gl/3Zwtnm
Devices and Mac OS X version
VLC media player requires Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later. It runs on any 64bit Intel-based Mac. Previous devices are supported by older releases.
Note that the first generation of Intel-based Macs equipped with Core Solo or Core Duo processors is no longer supported. Please use version 2.0.10 linked below.
Web browser plugin for Mac OS X
Support for NPAPI plugins was removed from all modern web browsers, so VLC's plugin is no longer maintained. The last version is 3.0.4 and can be found here. It will not receive any further updates.
Older versions of Mac OS X and VLC media player
We provide older releases for users who wish to deploy our software on legacy releases of Mac OS X. You can find recommendations for the respective operating system version below. Note that support ended for all releases listed below and hence they won't receive any further updates.
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Mac Os Panther Iso
Use VLC 2.2.8. Get it here.
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
Use VLC 2.0.10. Get it for PowerPC or 32bit Intel.
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later is required
Use VLC 0.9.10. Get it for PowerPC or Intel.
Mac OS X 10.3 Panther
QuickTime 6.5.2 or later is required
Use VLC 0.8.6i. Get it for PowerPC.
Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar
Use VLC 0.8.4a. Get it for PowerPC.
Mac Os Jaguar
Mac Os X 10.2 Iso Download
Mac Os X 10.2 Download
Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah and 10.1 Puma
Use VLC 0.7.0. Get it for PowerPC.