If it’s OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion that you need you can buy it for £19.99 here US or here UK As with Lion, Apple will send you a download code to use on the Mac App Store, so you will need to be. To download the Kindle app for Mac OS 10.14: Visit Amazon.com, and then click on the 'Kindle menu' on the left-hand side of the screen. Locate the 'Free Kindle Reading Apps' on the menu, and then follow the prompts on how to download the Kindle app for Mac. Finally, click the 'Download Now' button after following the prompt to select some. Due to increased security and permissions with Mac OS 10.14 Mojave and 10.15 Catalina, you will be prompted to authorize the Zoom Desktop Client to use the microphone, camera, and on Mac OS 10.15 Catalina, screen recording. The permissions are set within System Preferences of the device. The Today Center, accessible when swiping from left to right on the iPhone's display, has a.
So, you’ve decided to download an older version of Mac OS X. There are many reasons that could point you to this radical decision. To begin with, some of your apps may not be working properly (or simply crash) on newer operating systems. Also, you may have noticed your Mac’s performance went down right after the last update. Finally, if you want to run a parallel copy of Mac OS X on a virtual machine, you too will need a working installation file of an older Mac OS X. Further down we’ll explain where to get one and what problems you may face down the road.
A list of all Mac OS X versions
We’ll be repeatedly referring to these Apple OS versions below, so it’s good to know the basic macOS timeline.
|Cheetah 10.0||Puma 10.1||Jaguar 10.2|
|Panther 10.3||Tiger 10.4||Leopard 10.5|
|Snow Leopard 10.6||Lion 10.7||Mountain Lion 10.8|
|Mavericks 10.9||Yosemite 10.10||El Capitan 10.11|
|Sierra 10.12||High Sierra 10.13||Mojave 10.14|
STEP 1. Prepare your Mac for installation
Given your Mac isn’t new and is filled with data, you will probably need enough free space on your Mac. This includes not just space for the OS itself but also space for other applications and your user data. One more argument is that the free space on your disk translates into virtual memory so your apps have “fuel” to operate on. The chart below tells you how much free space is needed.
Note, that it is recommended that you install OS on a clean drive. Next, you will need enough disk space available, for example, to create Recovery Partition. Here are some ideas to free up space on your drive:
- Uninstall large unused apps
- Empty Trash Bin and Downloads
- Locate the biggest files on your computer:
How To Download Mac Os 10.4
Go to Finder > All My Files > Arrange by size
Then you can move your space hoggers onto an external drive or a cloud storage.
If you aren’t comfortable with cleaning the Mac manually, there are some nice automatic “room cleaners”. Our favorite is CleanMyMac as it’s most simple to use of all. It deletes system junk, old broken apps, and the rest of hidden junk on your drive.
Download CleanMyMac for OS 10.4 - 10.8 (free version)
Download CleanMyMac for OS 10.9 (free version)
Download CleanMyMac for OS 10.10 - 10.14 (free version)
STEP 2. Get a copy of Mac OS X download
Normally, it is assumed that updating OS is a one-way road. That’s why going back to a past Apple OS version is problematic. The main challenge is to download the OS installation file itself, because your Mac may already be running a newer version. If you succeed in downloading the OS installation, your next step is to create a bootable USB or DVD and then reinstall the OS on your computer.
How to download older Mac OS X versions via the App Store
If you once had purchased an old version of Mac OS X from the App Store, open it and go to the Purchased tab. There you’ll find all the installers you can download. However, it doesn’t always work that way. The purchased section lists only those operating systems that you had downloaded in the past. But here is the path to check it:
- Click the App Store icon.
- Click Purchases in the top menu.
- Scroll down to find the preferred OS X version.
- Click Download.
This method allows you to download Mavericks and Yosemite by logging with your Apple ID — only if you previously downloaded them from the Mac App Store.
Without App Store: Download Mac OS version as Apple Developer
If you are signed with an Apple Developer account, you can get access to products that are no longer listed on the App Store. If you desperately need a lower OS X version build, consider creating a new Developer account among other options. The membership cost is $99/year and provides a bunch of perks unavailable to ordinary users. /download-vmware-mac-os-x-image-7418/.
Nevertheless, keep in mind that if you visit developer.apple.com/downloads, you can only find 10.3-10.6 OS X operating systems there. Newer versions are not available because starting Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.7, the App Store has become the only source of updating Apple OS versions.
Purchase an older version of Mac operating system
You can purchase a boxed or email version of past Mac OS X directly from Apple. Both will cost you around $20. For the reason of being rather antiquated, Snow Leopard and earlier Apple versions can only be installed from DVD.
Buy a boxed edition of Snow Leopard 10.6
Get an email copy of Lion 10.7
Get an email copy of Mountain Lion 10.8
The email edition comes with a special download code you can use for the Mac App Store. Note, that to install the Lion or Mountain Lion, your Mac needs to be running Snow Leopard so you can install the newer OS on top of it.
How to get macOS El Capitan download
If you are wondering if you can run El Capitan on an older Mac, rejoice as it’s possible too. But before your Mac can run El Capitan it has to be updated to OS X 10.6.8. So, here are main steps you should take:
1. Install Snow Leopard from install DVD.
2. Update to 10.6.8 using Software Update.
3. Download El Capitan here.
“I can’t download an old version of Mac OS X”
If you have a newer Mac, there is no physical option to install Mac OS versions older than your current Mac model. For instance, if your MacBook was released in 2014, don’t expect it to run any OS released prior of that time, because older Apple OS versions simply do not include hardware drivers for your Mac.
But as it often happens, workarounds are possible. There is still a chance to download the installation file if you have an access to a Mac (or virtual machine) running that operating system. For example, to get an installer for Lion, you may ask a friend who has Lion-operated Mac or, once again, set up a virtual machine running Lion. Then you will need to prepare an external drive to download the installation file using OS X Utilities.
After you’ve completed the download, the installer should launch automatically, but you can click Cancel and copy the file you need. Below is the detailed instruction how to do it.
STEP 3. Install older OS X onto an external drive
The following method allows you to download Mac OS X Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks.
- Start your Mac holding down Command + R.
- Prepare a clean external drive (at least 10 GB of storage).
- Within OS X Utilities, choose Reinstall OS X.
- Select external drive as a source.
- Enter your Apple ID.
Now the OS should start downloading automatically onto the external drive. After the download is complete, your Mac will prompt you to do a restart, but at this point, you should completely shut it down. Now that the installation file is “captured” onto your external drive, you can reinstall the OS, this time running the file on your Mac.
- Boot your Mac from your standard drive.
- Connect the external drive.
- Go to external drive > OS X Install Data.
Locate InstallESD.dmg disk image file — this is the file you need to reinstall Lion OS X. The same steps are valid for Mountain Lion and Mavericks.
How to downgrade a Mac running later macOS versions
If your Mac runs macOS Sierra 10.12 or macOS High Sierra 10.13, it is possible to revert it to the previous system if you are not satisfied with the experience. You can do it either with Time Machine or by creating a bootable USB or external drive.
Instruction to downgrade from macOS Sierra
Instruction to downgrade from macOS High Sierra
Instruction to downgrade from macOS Mojave
Instruction to downgrade from macOS Catalina Family tree maker mac 3 download.
Before you do it, the best advice is to back your Mac up so your most important files stay intact. In addition to that, it makes sense to clean up your Mac from old system junk files and application leftovers. The easiest way to do it is to run CleanMyMac X on your machine (download it for free here).
Visit your local Apple Store to download older OS X version
If none of the options to get older OS X worked, pay a visit to nearest local Apple Store. They should have image installations going back to OS Leopard and earlier. You can also ask their assistance to create a bootable USB drive with the installation file. So here you are. We hope this article has helped you to download an old version of Mac OS X. Below are a few more links you may find interesting.
These might also interest you:
Apple announced its next big software updates today, including iOS 14, iPadOS 14, watchOS 7, tvOS 14, and macOS Big Sur. The public betas will begin next month, and this year, even watchOS is getting one. However, if you have an Apple Developer account, you can get started with the betas today.
Oddly enough, the method for installing these things changes slightly every year. Last year, Apple didn't release iOS configuration profiles at first, forcing developers to flash the images, and also forcing them to install the macOS beta first. Just a few years ago, you'd be required to register your iPhone's UDID with Apple Developer or else your phone would be useless after installation.
Things are pretty straightforward this year. Here's how to install this year's developer betas.
iOS 14 and iPadOS 14
iOS and iPadOS are still pretty much the same thing, so the instructions for installing them are identical. As is the case under normal circumstances, there's the simpler way of installing the configuration profile, and the more complicated way of flashing the image.
- From your iPhone or iPad, log into Apple Developer and go to Develop -> Downloads.
- Next to iOS 14 or iPadOS 14, click 'Install Profile'.
- After it downloads, go to Settings -> General -> Profiles to install it.
- Check for updates by going to General -> Settings -> Software Update.
Flashing the image
- From Apple Developer, download the image that corresponds to your device.
- Make sure you have a Mac with the latest version of iTunes, and launch it.
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to the Mac, and follow onscreen instructions to trust the device.
- On the device's page in iTunes, hold Option while clicking Check for Update.
- When a file dialog box appears, select the file you downloaded and open it.
For watchOS 7, the only way to install it is by using the configuration profile.
- Using the iPhone that's paired with the Apple Watch, go to Apple Developer -> Develop -> Downloads.
- Next to the watchOS 7 beta, click 'Install Profile'.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install it.
- In the Watch app, go to General -> Software Update.
tvOS, as always and strangely enough, only offers either a configuration profile or an image for the Apple TV HD. There's no recovery image for the Apple TV 4K.
- On a Mac, go to Apple Developer -> Develop -> Downloads.
- Next to tvOS 14, click 'Install Profile'.
- Make sure that your Apple TV and Mac are on the same network.
- In Xcode, go to Window -> Devices and Simulators -> Devices.
- On the Apple TV, go to Remotes and Devices -> Remote App and Devices.
- Back in Xcode, find the Apple TV which should now be discovered.
- Enter the verification code on the Apple TV.
- Open Apple Configurator.
- In Apple Configurator, select the Apple TV, then go to Add -> Profiles, and select the downloaded file.
- Next, check for updates as normal on the Apple TV.
Flashing the image
- On a Mac using the latest version of iTunes, go to Apple Developer -> Develop -> Downloads.
- Under 'Download Restore Images', click the link that says 'Apple TV HD'.
- Open iTunes.
- Connect your Apple TV HD to your Mac, and select it in iTunes.
- Hold the Option key and click 'Restore Apple TV'.
- Select the file that you downloaded.
macOS Big Sur
As with watchOS, macOS is only offered via a configuration profile.
- From your Mac, go to Apple Developer -> Develop -> Download
- Next to macOS Big Sur, click 'Install Profile'.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install the update.
That's it. After you've installed any of these updates using any method, you'll receive new betas as they're released via the normal OTA channels.